AMAP presents a half-day training program on modified asphalt in conjunction with our annual meeting early in the year. Beginning in 2008, we began awarding Continuing Education Units to attendees of this session.
The half-day training program can also be customized to come to your site or meeting location. In 2008 we developed a 45 minute overview session as well as 6 1/2 hour modules based on the program. We presented the overview at the Northeast Asphalt User Producer group meeting in 2007 and presented a 3 hour version at World of Asphalt in March 2009.
We presented a short course on Modified Asphalts to Connecticut DOT and the North East Asphalt User/Producer Group; streaming video is available on ConnDOT’s website.
Some of the topics of AMAP’s training program include:
Introduction to Asphalt Modification
- Distresses in Asphalt Pavements
- Types of Modification
- Use of Modified Asphalt
- Use of Anti-Stripping Agents
Chemistry of Modifiers and Asphalt Cement
- Chemistry of Asphalt Cements
- Refinery Practices
- Chemistry/Macrostructure of Modified Asphalt Cements
- Compatibility (Microscopy)
Introduction Polymer Modification
- Types of Polymers
- Compatibility of Polymers
- Effects of Polymers
- Analysis of polymers
- Recovery of PMA
Emulsions of Modified Asphalt
- Asphalt emulsion primer
- What are polymers?
- Why are polymers used in asphalt emulsions?
- Modification of asphalt emulsions
- Polymer networks in asphalt emulsions
- Impact on performance and performance parameters
Handling of Modified Asphalts
- Recommended Plant Operations
- Handling of Asphalt Binder at the Terminal
- Handling of Asphalt Binder at the HMA Plant
- Laydown of Modified Asphalt Concrete
Performance of Modified Asphalt Mixtures
- Laboratory Studies
- Field Studies
- Performance of Modified Asphalt Pavements at Low Temperatures
Testing for Modified Asphalt
- AASHTO M320 Table 2
- Plus Specification
- Identifying Modification
- PG Specifications AASHTO M320
- Testing equipment and how they work
Rheology basics and how they apply to asphalt
- Flow properties, viscosity, elasticity & viscoelasticity
- Relationship to material properties
Life Cycle Cost Analysis
The half-day training program can also be customized to come to your site or meeting location to meet your needs. In 2008 we developed a 45 minute overview session as well as 6 1/2 hour module based on the program.
For more information about the training program, please contact AMAP at email@example.com by phone at 330-714-4117.